The Frog King The Frog King

Awesome work, it would have been awesome that you could have submitted this for the contest. As some people say some errors in the mastering but I really loved the structure is pretty original, and the transitions between instruments felt so natural.
Really good work.

samulis responds:

any Crackling and such is Finale's fault for not being 64-bit compatible yet, I swear! XD

I'm glad you liked this. I really try to make my music something other than the run-of-the-mill orchestral you find a lot these days.

Run Run

I like the idea of the song, and it sounds like an old RPG. I don't know if you did this on purpose or is just your samples. The only thing this song needs is a memorable theme. The intro felt like some kind of theme with contra-punctual (I'm not sure how to write it in English) but you can something more epic and easier to remember. Aside from that I really like the harmony, tempo changes. Now the percussion, the timpani felt like scratched CD. To eliminate that sound make the sounds shorter, the vary the velocity and play with the reverb. The crash that you used also felt unnatural, it sounded like a rock crash, it would have sounded better with suspended cymbal crescendo and then a hit.

Really cool song, keep it up.

rupert484 responds:

Wow, thanks for the feedback :)
Yeah, I'm aware some sounds are a little unnatural. Not making excuses, this is because I was limited to a very basic MIDI editor and a set of limited soundfonts, which I'm hoping to get improved someday. I will definitely keep your tips in mind, especially the one about a more easy to remember theme.

Tankmen Sudden Encounter Tankmen Sudden Encounter

Wow that was an amazing orchestration.
I am a big fan of Gustav Holst and you really delivered that sort of classic sound he and Bernstein had. I was pretty surprised of how realistic all the articulations felt and how in the midst of the chaos you achieved such an amazing balance. The anything I don't like is how it ends, it sounds kind of odd but at the same time it has the classic feel of the hollywood cues so I guess is just my personal taste.
Amazing job again.

Bosa responds:

Thank you! I will be reviewing your work soon.

The comeback The comeback

Hello there
Well I will start the review with what I like
First the mixing, you managed a really clean mixing with everything balanced and nothing seems to be interfering with other frequencies. Another thing is the theme, it sounded good with the rest of the song and it really goes well with the genre. The drums sounds great but you can add a touch of reverb so the release doesn't sounds dry.

Now what you can improve in this song are mainly two things: variety and sound. The song felt really repetitive because the theme and the same chord progression was present through the whole 2:21. You can try changing the progression, changing the themes to new synths, adding effects or percussion, or adding a whole new theme. The synths sounded good but you can work more with them. They sound incomplete, try experimenting more with filters and that sort of stuff. Another aspect that you can improve is the mastering in the song it felt a little bit of, but nothing of another world.

Overall a good song with great potential but repetitive.

bolisa responds:

Yeah, you're right, its repetitive, but that is because i haven't got much synths and stuff. So i downloaded Nexus. My newer songs are better now. Soon i will upload it on newgrounds (;.

Thanks for the review.

The End of Destruction. The End of Destruction.

Really good stuff. Starting with the composition itself, it sounds solid and it with a big ensemble this would sound really professional. I like the way you used the harmonic progressions, you really took advantage of that and the magical and dark feeling was done perfectly. The overall sound remind me of the main theme from fable, but of course in a more delicate way.

Now I am not sure if this is a sample library or real players, if what I am hearing is a mock-up then awesome sound that you deliver and if you used real players then more amazing because nothing can beat a real performance. The only thing that I think you could have worked more with is the reverb. It sounds too light and too small for the sound that you can extract from this one. Try to get more depth on the bass frequencies and give more room to the reverb. This will create this giant but delicate and dark atmosphere.
Awesome work,you really surprised me and sorry for my English.

What Is Happening What Is Happening

OK so first of all electronic music is not my main genre but I know about it and I produce electronic tracks from time to time. Now lets go to the review

I will start with the melody/harmony. Depending on the genre the electronic music relies more in the harmony. For example the electro house may use harmony but is not something necessary but when you are doing dance music, most of the producer use at least the basic of harmony. I know that you are doing something experimental and there were some cool melodies in the song but these melodies could have been exploited more with some basic chord progressions. Try to interact more with pads to create that sort of space where the bass and the lead are free to do whatever they want and with some mid-register synths (Something to reinforce those middle frequencies). I like your intentions in the middle of the song and you have some good really good ideas that with practice they will blow your mind. Also remember to use more the oscillators filters.

Another thing is the drums. Try to make more balance with the bass. They need presence too (search for sidechain compression) so try to make some room for those. Also some new samples can help, check out the kev willow free drum samples.

For the mastering there was missing experimentation with EQ, Compressor, Stereo Enhancement, limiter and other stuff. When you are in this final part try to boost up the overall volume of the track and then work with the compression. In this song the compression needs more work, trust me if you learn to use this it will make the master so clean.

I know that pointed out a lot of topics but if you don't know any of them just search on google there is so much information about this stuff. Oh and try some new synths there is plenty of free synths to play with.
Keep it up and sorry for my english!

Project Saviour Project Saviour

Wow great song. First of all I was really impressed with mixing and mastering, and your samples sounds really good. The only thing that I didn't like is that it was kind of repetitive but overall the melodies and atmosphere were great.
Awesome job!

Emid responds:

Thank you friend :) I am really glad you like it.

Tribal Tribal

Great melodies in the whole song and interesting work in the harmony. For me the song has a lot of potential but most of that feeling and intensity was gone with the dynamics. Some instruments sound too small even if they had an important role on the song. For example in the beginning the strings just feels out of place, that intro feels like the ethnic drums are over everything. Now when the ethnic instruments starts everything starts to flow again and it sounds great. Then in the 1:31 where the strings have this kind of aggressive role the volume was too low. If you bring the strings up and maybe some cinematic hits you could give the song another color. If you play a little bit more with the automation this song will blow your mind.

I was really impressed with the atmosphere that you made with the lows and the percussion. The pizzicato part was really original too. Now the ending was really awesome but again the problem with the balance between instruments. In my opinion that ending should have been really intense and aggressive.
Anyway great song!

BlazingDragon responds:

Excellent review, thank you for the constructive criticism!

To be honest, this is hardly a finished work. I procrastinated and the compositional aspect wasn't even finished this afternoon. It would have been a shame to not participate though, so I slapped on an ending in about thirty minutes and submitted the piece. No mastering, no time spent blending the dynamics, and not even any automation. There is not a single string crescendo in this piece. No compression. The only thing I did was EQ some of the ethnic percussion. :/

I feel a bit guilty submitting something so rough around the edges, but I like the composition and want to share it via this contest. And besides, while I have composition experience, my mixing and mastering skills are very minimal, so your comments are very valuable to me. I hear so many epic ideas in my head, but I'm not to the point that I can convey them properly through software.

Thanks again! :D

Milkdromeda's Prophecy Milkdromeda's Prophecy

Great song you really put some really well done harmony and atmosphere in this one. The song seems really alive and you manage to get a really interesting structure and climax. The choir surprised me as well as the percussion and the transition between the different feelings was something really smooth and everything felt in place. The mastering and mixing was well done too, specially the lows, good job on that one.

Listening to the song was like being on a journey through space and time. The only flaw was that although it was a really sentimental and beautiful song it didn't told me much about you wanting to do your best song ever. It was more like a really beautiful song for a movie sentimental scene. Besides from that beautiful and outstanding song over here.

JosephAS1 responds:

Thanks! :)

Seikkailu Unelma Seikkailu Unelma

This song has a lot of potential and you really let us know your talent for transition and melodies. Most of the melodies were great although they weren't a melody that stays in your head. The transitions were really smooth even when there were lots of them.

Now for me the the song at the beginning was really uplifting but after some time you kind of get tired of that. You could have experimented with more more tempo plays where you don't loose the momentum of the song but the listener doesn't get kind of annoyed by the amount melodies with similar pattern, and that isn't a bad thing but you have to know where to experiment a little more.

The mastering and mixing was done really good and balanced. In some instruments, specially the brass, the sound sometimes sounded fake, for me it could have felt a little bit more warm. When you are using samples I like to be really careful in the phrases I write because you have to use the strong point of your samples and most of the brass samples don't have a good sound when you write fast melodies. I prefer to use them as background harmony, slow melodies or fierce but simple melodies and stuff like that. Strings felt great and the reverb was really neat.

In general a really good song that hit you straight with a happy a feeling although sometimes it sounds repetitive.
Sorry for my English and my lack of knowledge on the music theory in English.

KatMaestro responds:

Thanks for your detailed review a lot. I thought of reducing the beginning part to half of it, just didn't have enough time and ideas to mess around with it. Ya, the brass turned weird after 150 BPM... this song is around 190 BPM.

Most people couldn't create great work on their first products, I'm no exception. I will try better next project, when I have more time and no more server downtime =P.

Thank you so much!